It's the thing, I guess....

2.03.2007

A Hard Day's Work

Thank God It's Friday! (or Saturday now)

This evening was by far one of the worst evening shifts I've had in a very long time. I had no less than 3 abusive callers, too many hang ups (where my phone rings, but the caller hangs up before I can answer the phone) to count, and a handful of difficult callers. This isn't counting the one or two stressful, difficult cases I had as well. To top it off, I was ignored by the rude people at Panera at dinner-a sure way to get my temper fuming.

I don't understand why certain individuals feel the need to be abusive to trained professionals trying to help them. It does the caller no good, it does the animal involved no good, and just frustrates the professional. The squeaky wheel may get the attention, but if it's loud enough or squeaks too often, it will just get replaced or thrown away, not fixed. If you're being irrational or abusive to me, I do not have to put up with it. It is not your right to take out your frustrations on me or call me names. And please don't swear at me and hang up immediately after-it takes away the satisfaction of disconnecting you before you're done (tongue-in-cheek).

Hang ups are not as bad as they seem. In fact, I would rather the phone is hung up before I get the call, because then I don't have to deal with the arguments, yelling, or hear any information about the animal that won't be treated properly by an owner that cannot place the animal's health above their indignation or self-interest.

Difficult cases are usually fun and stimulating. It's interesting to do some research and read the literature or go digging for information on a substance for which we don't have quick information. It becomes overwhelming at times though when you get several in a row and you can't seem to get caught up.

The icing on the cake this evening, though, was the people at Panera. I had only a short 1hr break to visit with Chuck, and we chose to eat dinner at Panera. Our main entrees went smoothely, but I decided to return to the counter to order a much needed chocolate dessert (and a refill on Chuck's drink) with 10 min left before I had to return to work. Plenty of time I thought, but no! The person ahead of me was the employee's relative, it seemed, and instead of quickly completing the order and moving to the next person-me, I waited in line for the full remaining 10 min, then left without even having an employee acknowledge me. (How long does it take to order a beverage, 4 bagels, several dessert items, and pay?) Mind you-there were only 2 people in line, the person ordering and me. 10 minutes! Good grief! After I said goodbye to Chuck and approached the door, that person was still at the counter talking and ordering, and there was still a line behind her! By the time I left Panera, I was so upset, mad, and disappointed by everything (work, food, having to return to work), that I ended up crying all the way back to work. At least the remainder of the shift was only slightly less traumatic than the first half.

Now I have a full weekend (2 days) off, a dinner with friends Saturday night, and the Bears in the Superbowl Sunday to recover from the hellish night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home