It's the thing, I guess....

1.23.2006

Job Thoughts

Now that I've been at my job for a whole week, I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. The first day or two last week were all about getting paperwork done, settling into the routine, and so on. For the rest of the week, we had class (all toxicology lectures) for at least 4-5 hours a day, rounds, and computer training. I've found it's really hard to sit in a conference room in the dark for hours at a time listening to lecture (haven't had to do that for 2.5 years).

Thinking back to school, I can remember that I didn't really enjoy my toxicology lectures that much....it was all "This substance does this to the animal. Treat it like this." Only, we didn't have any experience with the type of substance or the drugs/procedures to treat with. It's much more interesting to go through the class now that I've had some experience and think "Oh, that's like the case I had last May....I could have done this treatment as well" or relearning why certain things are done/treated certain ways. These are all things you don't think of out in private practice, but now it's part of my job to know the "why" to be able to teach and explain it to veterinarians as they are seeing the animal. Funny...when I was little, I didn't want to be a veterinarian. I wanted to be a teacher. Now I'll sort of be both.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Swany said...

wow, it sounds like this might work out to be a good thing for you.... at least for now, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home